Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I Have Issues 26

The 20 Greatest Superman Fights


Part 2


Superman VS. Doomsday ( Hunter/Prey #3, 1994)



Superman Doomsday Hunter/Prey was a three issue prestige format miniseries that served as the rematch between Superman and Doomsday from their first fight where they killed each other. If you’re a big Dan Jurgens fan than this series is right up your alley as he wrote and provided the art layouts. The fight in issue 3 is pretty good even if Supes is wearing this!

I AM THE 90'S!


The story also features Darkseid getting his ass handed to him by Doomsday.


I don't hate Darkseid but it's always entertaining to see a pompous bully get his!

Also Cyborg Superman fits prominently into the narrative as well.


Shakespeare it ain't but for pretty non stop action you could do a lot worse. Also it's not even close to being as dumb as most of Images comics at the time. No offense Image comics of the 90's! You sure made lots of pretty pictures!


Supes tries to incinerate Dooms from the word go. 


The monster uses his adaption power to survive and then shoots his claws right into Superman’s shoulder. 


Superman uses a sonic Gun and a fancy energy sword and they trade blows back and forth. 


Superman has his arm broken and the fight ends when Superman uses a device from the time travel hero Waverider to send Doomsday to the end of time.


The comic didn't exactly change my life after having read it but 14 year old me finally got that Doomsday figure I had been wanting since I was twelve! And yes I did play with toys when I was probably too old for them.

Needless to say 90's Superman got his ass kicked a lot in my house.




Superman VS. Lobo ( The Adventures of Superman 464, 1990)

Lobo is sent to assassinate Superman and goes to find him at the Fortress of Solitude. At this time Superman is being possessed by the Eradicator device which is designed to preserve Kryptonian culture but really just makes Superman a total overconfident douche. 

And Superdouche be thy name.

While he is talking down to Lobo, he gets kicked in the face. 


Superman comes back with a punch that almost takes Lobo's head off. Lobo goes for another kick to the Kryptonians face and then puts him in a headlock. 



Lobo pounds Superman and then shoves his head into the wall.


Supes escapes and Lobo chases him right into the Holograph room. Superman has set up a simulation of Krypton and when Lobo charges Superman ducks and Lobo smashes right into a wall that looks like the background (not unlike a certain Coyote.) 


Superman swoops down and shoves Lobo through the floor and down to the next level. Lobo pulls up the floor to use as a weapon, Superman tries to fry him with heat vision to no effect and Lobo shoves a pipe into the Kryptonians chest which breaks but probably hurts like a son of a bitch. Following that up with a vicious kick, Lobo has his opponent down and pounds Superman until he runs away with a swollen face. 



Superman comes back inside a Kryptonian Warsuit and Lobo pulls out a can of Kryptonite and fires missiles from his space-harley. Lobo sees the armor destroyed and Superman dead inside of it and leaves in victory. Superman actually used holographic projectors in the suit to make it appear he was killed.



Superman and Lobo would have a rematch where Kal was back to his regular self again and he well... I'll let the picture do the talking.


Superman VS. an Angel (Asmodel) JLA #7 (1997)



This fight was only one page and it was during the time when Superman was in his electric blue phase. Still Kal El went toe to toe with an actual angel and if that is not impressive to you, here’s the list of Asmodel's powers/abilities, Flight (via angelic wings),Immortality, Invulnerability  Super strength, Super speed, Devastating Sonic Cry, Acidic Blood, Heat Vision, Projection of heavenly light, Master Military Strategist, Flaming Staff. 


Asmodel had a plan to overthrow God and take control of Heaven when the Angel Zauriel escaped and found the JLA to ask for help. The whole JLA fights off a horde of fallen angels but Supes takes on the leader of them all and refuses to lay down no matter how impressive his opponent is.





Superman Vs the Incredible Hulk (Marvel Versus DC #3, 1996)

Nothing pissed me off more than this crossover where the fight winners were determined by votes from fans. With Marvel being at or near the peak of their popularity they were a lock to win. Ok I will go on record and say I agree with all the choices of the winners except for Storm over Wonder Woman and Wolverine (bone claws) over Lobo. Wonder Woman is a demi god and Lobo has gone toe to toe with Superman as we just saw earlier. it just doesn't make sense! (Steps off soap box.) 

Hulk sucker punches Superman who comes back with a huge dose of heat vision. 


The two pound the hell out of each other until Superman proves he wants it more and takes Hulk out.



To all the Hulk fans out their Hulk certainly made a better showing here than in the 70’s.


Superman VS Wonder Woman (Wonder Woman 219, 2005)


In the story-line that leads into Infinite Crisis, Superman has his perceptions screwed up by Maxwell Lord. Thinking he’s just seen Doomsday kill Lois Lane and believing Wonder Woman is Doomsday, Kal unleashes hell against the Amazonian warrior. This is not only a good fight for Supes, it’s a great fight for WW.


Superman is usually portrayed as the most powerful super hero of all, but Diana was born and bred to be a warrior. She proves it here as the two go head to head. Superman is enraged to Hulk like levels as he tries to fly Wonder Woman into the sun. 


She escapes and uses her bracelets to hurt his super hearing and even slices Supes throat open with her tiara. 


In the end Diana has exhausted everything she can think of except one. She snaps Maxwell Lords neck and frees Kal El though he’s pretty disturbed by what she has done. 

Proving Superman fights for whats right but Wonder Woman fights to win.


Probably the best move for Wonder Woman though as pictured below is what happened in an Alternate timeline of Batman/Superman #16


Ok So I saw Man of Steel yesterday and I'm sure you all want to know what I think. I really don't care for critics because as I have said multiple times before everyone likes what they like and who is anyone tell you your interests suck. That being said if you haven't seen the movie, read no further!



The diplomatic answer is I need to see it again. Not because I was so blown away I want to experience it all over but because I felt like it was missing something and I am not sure what that is. My girlfriend loved it and I wanted to, because it could be the start of a franchise for my favorite character, but for lack of a better reason it just felt soulless. I didn't hate it, but I wanted to love it. 


The fights were outstanding, my favorite being Superman versus Faroa and who I'm assuming was Non. The creators certainly took the criticisms of Superman Returns to heart. 


I like the casting, with the exception of maybe Michael Shannon as Zod, everyone was well cast, even if they didn't get certain moments written for them like maybe they should have (I love Amy Adams and I believe she could be an awesome Lois, so why wasn't she written that way?) 


I also liked the scenes from Krypton at the beginning and also this was the first time in a Superman story I felt like Jor-El and Lara were extremely upset/conflicted about sending their son away. 


On the other side the story didn't flow for me and I never got that moment like in the Batman movies where I just couldn't wait to see the villains get there asses kicked! As stated before the Cast was not used as they should have been. Also as cool as it was to see buildings get destroyed it happened so much I just wasn't impressed anymore by the time we got to Zod versus Kal.

So I need to see it again to find out if I was missing something but at this moment the best I can say is I don't hate it. Also on the topic of Superman Killing Zod, I can go along with it because he did it in the comic and this is a re-imagining to try to get people interested in a character many view as stale an unexciting. They are trying to make people see Superman can be a bad-ass and we will see if this works.


My recommendation is you need to watch the first hour and a half of the original Superman movie and then the last hour and a half of the Man of Steel. That way you get the proper character build and the action to satisfy the needs of the story. 

As Scott would say, Thumbs squarely in the middle.


Part 3 of the Superman fights continue next week!

Help Peter David


By, J. Ryan Buck (Lostscribe@gmail.com)

Get your comics here http://www.mycomicshop.com/

Previous installments here http://lostscribe0.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment